When I launched my new book The Great Escape, The Successful Woman’s Guide to Escaping The 9-5, I really started to focus on speaking to women and teaching specifically how to leave corporate America and build a life that is more in line with their dreams and desires!
Most women who reach out to me to leave their corporate job – are dying to make the transition to being their own boss, but often just don’t know how!
Hilary and I have so much in common and she is one of my trusted advisors as a woman entrepreneur myself. Each of our missions is to help women be financially independent – my focus is on doing it through business ownership!
Hilary and I talked a lot about how to prepare for leaving a steady, secure job – and my first recommendation is to always make sure that your financial house is in order. If you are serious about making “The Great Escape”, there are a few financial things you can do to prepare…
- Reduce your expenses as much as possible.
- Build a cash reserve to cover expenses while you’re building your business
- Have a great business advisor – ideally one who understands “the money”
- Hire an attorney to help you cover your assets!
- Have a strong business plan that will serve as the roadmap for your business growth.
- Create a PROACTIVE marketing plan to launch, market and promote your business – before you “open your doors” and after you open your doors!
- Have a support system to help you through the transition (ideally your family is supportive and going to help you make the change!!)
Going out on your own and launching your own business is a wonderful experience. It isn’t always easy, but it’s almost always worth it! Just make sure you prepare before you make The Great Escape!