Before you open a barre studio, you should consider how many classes a week will run when you first open vs. how many classes a week will run when you have been in business for 6 months and 12 months.
One of the big mistakes I made when I opened my first barre studio is that I launched with a full schedule (2-3 classes a day, 7 days a week).
WOW! That was HARD! I was our only certified barre instructor at the time, and I taught every single class for almost 2 weeks.
I lost over 10 pounds, but I was EXHAUSTED and SO disheartened. The worst feeling in the world is when you are teaching a class of only 1-2 people and you are flat out exhausted. You know it is bad when you actually start praying that people will NOT show up to your class, so you can get an hour off!
Before you open a barre studio, take some time to determine how you can launch on a modified schedule, while still offering a series of class times and potentially class variety – while still giving yourself room to grow. It is more fun for your instructors AND your clients if you are getting at least 5-8 people in their initial classes – and it will really help with your staffing costs if you aren’t paying a staff to serve a class of one!
As you consider your class schedules before you open a barre studio, here are some of the most SPECIFIC questions you need to answer:
- How convenient is your location to your target client?
- What is the schedule of your target client?
- What are the best times to offer your classes?
- If rush hour traffic may keep your clients from being able to get to you
- Whether parking may be rough in your location
- When drop off or pick up for the kids may be convenient
- When you may be able to have clients attend classes before work
- When you may be able to have clients attend classes on their lunch break
- When you may be able to have clients attend classes after work
- If weekend classes are beneficial to clients
Studio in a Box will include sample schedules and more information on how to build the best schedule. If you are interested in knowing more about how to open a barre studio without the fees and rules of a barre franchise, click to learn more! You’ll get some free videos, free training, free resources, and the possibility to book a consultation. We look forward to helping you open a barre studio and living a life that you’ve dreamed of!